Saturday, December 1, 2012

A story about a Girl


I have been wanting to write this post for a while now, but I have never known just what to say. I still don't, but I feel compelled to write it anyways.

This is one of my beautiful sisters.

Her name is Oriana and she is as dear to me as anyone can be. Her husband, Travis, is also someone whom I love and respect more then words can express. The story of Oriana starts way back to when I was a young girl. I was the only girl, with three brothers. I wanted a sister SO BAD! Finally, my wish was granted when I was almost 9. (And then a few more times after that for which I am equally grateful!) She was the best doll I had ever received and the whole family just adored her, but I like to think no one loved her as much as me. (I love all my sisters, but this story is about her.) Fast forward to the year Nate and I moved to West Virginia for med school. I was pregnant with Lily and more then 2,000 miles away from my family. I missed them all so much. With in the first two months we were there the most amazing missionary was transferred into our area. Everything about this young man impressed me and told me he was someone special. Then I get the strangest idea to have him write my sister who is a senior in high school. Now before you go making any judgements, realize I have NEVER done this before and will likely NEVER do it again! I know the rules and I did not want to introduce a distraction, but the prompting was persistent. We grew to know Elder Taylor more and more and found out just what an amazing man and missionary he was/is. He was such a blessing to us in West Virginia all those miles away from our family. Fast forward a year and a half and Oriana and Travis, Elder Taylor, got married. It was amazing and I couldn't have been happier for them. Then a few short months later Oriana got sick. Really sick. She went in to the doctor several times and he kept sending her away saying it was a UTI. She finally went into the ER and immediately was taken back for emergency surgery. Her appendix had burst a while ago and she was septic. It was a grueling surgery and she lost a fallopian tube and had significant internal scarring. A few months later a miscarriage. Then years of infertility. Two rounds of IUI's and now she finds out the only remaining tube is scarred closed. My heart is breaking for these two amazing people.
 
I know there are many who suffer with different types of infertility, and there are many who are close to me. But this is my baby sister! This isn't supposed to happen to her! And yet through it all, I am continually amazed at their attitudes and their patience. That isn't to say they haven't mourned or even been a little mad, but they are so resilient and so amazing. They continue to serve others, myself and my family included, and they continue to be faithful. I am in awe of them. I truly love these two and wish that I could do something, anything to help them.
They are going to make the most amazing parents, they already make the most amazing auntie and uncle!
Oriana and Travis, you both are amazing. I know this post doesn't even tell half of your story, and my words are terribly inadequate, but I want you to know how much I love and admire you both. You are an inspiration and an example. You are both SO GIVING and so loving and I have no doubt that you would give the very shirt off your back to someone in need, because Travis did that very thing to Nate when he was on his mission in WV.
They are now starting the rough road that is in vitro fertilization. I wish I lived closer so that I could be there and help in any way that I could.
Thank you for being such an example and thank you for being you.
 
And Oriana, thank you for being one of my beautiful sister by birth.
 

I love you!
 
*Oriana, I hope you don't mind I stole some of your pictures from facebook :)

1 comment:

Travis and Oriana Taylor said...

Andrea thankyou so much for this post about me and Travis! You are really sweet and thoughtful to do this! we love you lots and miss you guys!!