Saturday, June 25, 2011

Kirtland, Ohio

We have been in Ohio for about three and a half weeks now. It goes without saying that it is very different from West Virginia, but I think we are adjusting rather well. The kids have made friends, we have met and like the neighbors, and we are almost %100 unpacked! Of course there are a few random boxes that are left, but for the most part we are settled. In the midst of all the unpacking we wanted to do some things as a family before Nate started residency. Teaching seminary last year, we studied D&C and Church history, I fell in LOVE with Church History. Any one who knows me will now this is COMPLETELY out of character for me! I usually HATE history and church history use to make me so depressed that I just tuned it out whenever anyone talked about it. I am please to say I have mended my ways!! I really grew to love it and to have an actual desire to learn more! (I know it sounds crazy, but it's true.) So naturally when I found out that we were IN the Kirtland, Ohio Stake, I had to make Kirtland our first official family trip here in Ohio!

It was a little complicated explaining to the kids why we could go inside THIS temple, but none of the others and why it was different. It was also a little confusing to them to listen to some of the things on the tour given by the guides of the Community of Christ church, but I was able to explain things after we left a little better.



We tried to take a picture of us in front of the temple, but it was on a timer on the park bench and I was being attacked by a spider, so this was the best we got.




After the temple we went over to the LDS Historical Kirtland part of the city, where the Newel K. Whitney store, the mill and some other buildings were located.



We had a lot of fun, although I think Lily was a little bored ;). After we finished in Kirtland we went and got delicious ice cream at this shop near our house. Little did we know it's somewhat of a local legend here. And it did NOT disappoint! If anyone cares to visit us (hint, hint) we will take you there!! :) All in all it was a great day and I was so grateful to have had the opportunity to learn so much more about this area before visiting.

5 comments:

jdust said...

How neat to see those things! Tyler and I have been talking of going to the church history sites. If we do we will have to meet up in Kirckland and definatley come to the ice cream shop.

Tiffanyann said...

so fun, ok if we ever make it that way we want ice cream!! love ya!!

Tiffanyann said...

ps what is your address there?

Ryan and Marci said...

So glad to hear that you are unpacked & getting settled! Kirtland is definitely on our to-do list so maybe that would be a good place to meet up with you guys! Or we love coming up to Amish country which is pretty close to you guys too... we need to get together!

Cheri said...

I think the reason church history is sometimes hard to get into is because it seems so far from us, but when you are able to visit some of the places that are part of the stories we hear about, it becomes real. That is so neat you have had that chance.