Friday, January 4, 2013

Flower Girl

Every once in a while you come across a teacher that ends up being more then just a teacher. Last year Gabby had that experience. We met Kate Berge at a get together for new students and Gabby loved her from that moment on. About a week into school we had an ice cream social where we get a chance to talk with teachers and staff. Kate came up to us and said, "I know this is a little weird, but can I ask you a person question?" I was intrigued, so of course I said yes ;)! "Are you guys LDS?" I sat there stunned. I managed to stammer out a yes and then asked how she knew and what she knew about LDS people. She said that when she taught preschool she met a family that were LDS and they had become friends. She said she figured we had to be because of the way Gabby conducted herself and how she openly and unabashedly spoke of her love of God and her family. That was a real compliment and our friendship grew from then on. Gabby invited her to church and she came. We had her to some other functions and Gabby even brought her a Book of Mormon. Then with everything that happened last year with Evelyn she was there for Gabby and our family and we grew even closer. During the summer I got an email from her saying she had gotten engaged and wanted Gabby to be the flower girl at her wedding!! We were thrilled and this opened up more opportunities to discuss the differences in our religions (she is Roman Catholic) and have some very open discussion. I have to admit I was a little nervous about it, but Gabby was never worried at all! We went to the showers, the rehearsal, everything and we had a blast! I was so honored that she would want my sweet little Gabby to be a part of her wedding, but not all that surprised. (Gabby is pretty special :)!) She treated Gabby like a princess! She even had her come get her hair done the day of the wedding with her. (All the kids got to come tag along since Nate was at work and I couldn't find a babysitter two days after Christmas).
Here she is all ready to go!!!



 I tried to get some pictures of her coming down the isle, but I wasn't in a great spot and I didn't have my good camera :(.


Coming into the isle with the Bride's mom (who is currently battling stage 4 breast cancer..:(!)

Gabby and the greatest teacher, Mrs. Kate Berge Duhanich!


At the reception Gabby was the first one introduced and she had to walk through all these people she didn't know, but it didn't phase her at all. She is a pro at this! 

After the dinner there was dancing, which I have to say was Gabby's FAVORITE part! I think Nate was super embarrassed to be out there, but it made his little girl happier then he will ever know!!

It was a fun experience and not one that I think any of us will ever forget! I am so proud of my little girl and the wonderful person she is! She is such an example to me and I am so grateful to have her in my family forever!!! I love you Gabby girl and am so proud of you!!!!
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Jo Jo said...

This is the B.E.S.T. story ever! She looks like a princess!

Julie said...

I'm so proud of my Gabby! She is such an example to me. Love her!

Janelle said...

She's so beautiful!

LeAnn said...

She looks like a mini you Andrea! And, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. :-)

mama_pj said...

Precious!