Monday, July 22, 2013

A lesson in Faith

I have been sitting at my computer for over 30 minutes trying to figure out how to start this post. I have so many emotions and thoughts running through my mind and I am struggling to compose them into a coherent post. I struggle putting too many of my emotions out there for the scrutiny of other. I shouldn't care so much about what other people think, and I need this recorded for my children. So here I go... When my sweet little Evie was born and we found out how difficult her life was going to be I decided then and there that I was DONE having children. Her pregnancy was hands down the most difficult I have had: so sick that there were multiple trips to the hospital to receive fluids, trips to the hospital for early labor, a separating bone that caused so much pain but couldn't be helped by anything, bed rest, etc. And then almost from the day she was born it was more hospitals and more difficulties. I figured that was about all I could handle, getting children here hadn't been the easiest for us anyways. Yes, I know others struggle more, but I have had 9 pregnancies. To loose that many and not just at the beginning, but into my second trimester, was not easy. So, I counted my blessings that I was able to have 4 wonderful children. (Not to mention how EVERYONE seemed to tell me it would be irresponsible to have more when Evelyn needed so much care.) Fast forward to January. Nate tells me he keeps feeling like we have one more and that we need to start trying to have another baby now. I looked at him like he was crazy. I am the one who gets those promptings and has to convince HIM! I said no. A day later he brings it up again. I reminded him that Evelyn was needing another surgery sometime between December and February and if we started trying that was when the baby would be due. He suggested we pray about it. We did. I ignored it. Then we prayed some more and fasted. (I have to mention that another HUGE reason I was NOT thinking of more was because I have several people very close to me, one being my dear sister, who have been unable to have one of their own and have been going through the most awful heartbreaks trying to conceive just once. I couldn't have another one until they had one of their own.) During this time I was overwhelmed by the feeling that I needed to have more faith and trust in the Lord. He is in control and He knows what is best for my family. As I had these impressions I half jokingly said in my prayer that OK, I would try, and if I got pregnant than Evelyn's heart would have to be fixed because I could NOT do another open heart surgery. I can't explain to you the feeling that I got after that. It wasn't a yes, but it wasn't a no and that surprised me. I decided I had better trust a little more and show my faith. I went off birth control and was pregnant the next month.
I thought for sure it wouldn't last, I have NEVER gotten pregnant right away and I have ALWAYS had at least one miscarriage in between each child. Then the nausea started. I have been almost as sick as I was with Evelyn, almost. I just kept waiting for the inevitable. But it hasn't come. I am about 12 weeks now and so far so good. Now why am I finally telling this story? That would be because of Friday. Last Friday we went in for Evie's big heart appointment where they were going to decide on a date for her next surgery. After an hour and a half of imaging and testing I sat in the office with her Cardiologist telling me that by some miracle my babies heart has all of the sudden started healing itself and the large holes that were there months ago are tiny pin pricks now. That instead of her being in moderate heart failure, she is not in heart failure at all and can stop ALL her medications. She smiled as she said, "Evelyn will NOT need any future surgeries as far as we can tell today." She does still have some issues, but they fully expect them to resolve themselves. IF she ever has complications from what remains, it is YEARS down the road and NOT likely. I started crying. I was so overwhelmed and so amazed that I can't even explain in words the emotions that have been going through me since Friday. Now, some may say it is a coincidence and still call me reckless and irresponsible for getting pregnant before knowing that Evelyn would be OK, but I beg to differ. It doesn't matter to me what those people think or feel about it, I know and that is all that matters. My children know, they fasted and prayed right along side Nate and me. Even though this past few years have been tough, the miracles and lessons on faith that our family have experience are invaluable and indescribable.
My baby will only ever have this scar to deal with.
 She can grow and be a normal baby from now on.
And now we can prepare for our family to grow again.
We really are all thrilled to be having another baby. It has been hard. I have been so sick for the last two months. But as always, my amazing children have picked up my slack. Luke gets Evie up every morning and feeds her and watches her so I can sleep a little longer. They all help take care of her and help with the chores around the house. I had been throwing up so much that Gabby decided on last fast Sunday that she would fast for me to feel better. You know what?! I have only thrown up a handful of times since then instead of several times a day! And she didn't even tell me she was doing it until after church. It amazes me the way everyone can grow during trials. I hope all these jumbled words make some sense. I just knew I needed to record this amazing experience so that I never forget the lesson I learned from it. It isn't the same for everyone. No two people are the same and no experience is the same for anyone. But this is what it is for our family. As I read over the words I wrote, I know it doesn't do it justice. But this is my families journal and this is something we will never forget.


12 comments:

Lisa/Scott said...

Okay, first of all, Congratulations!!! Oh my gosh a new little one on their way! How exciting! Having another spirit come to your home is ALWAYS good news. Anyone who says otherwise needs to mind their own business, especially the ones who might think you irresponsible. They can shove it, and I hope they read this because if I could I would slap them for even saying that to you. How many kids people should have is between them and the Lord and nobody else, and yours is a great home for someone to come into in this crazy world.
Also, I'm so happy that Evie is basically healed. She is proof of modern miracles. That's NOT a coincidence. I love this post. Thank you for being so honest,it's not easy to be honest to people who judge so easily, but this was truly inspiring, and it makes me so happy. Love you cousin! I'm so glad things are coming together for you and your family! Also I'm glad your feeling less sick. That's the worst. Thanks again for sharing this Andrea, really, it is uplifting and wonderful to read and I admire you so much! Thank you for being so strong and a great example of a wife and mom!

Stephanie said...

Oh, Andrea! I have tears in my eyes reading this post. Isn't the Lord wonderful? I am so happy for the blessings you guys have experienced after so much trial. Congratulations, we are so happy for you! You will be in my prayers during this pregnancy. What wonderful, sweet children you have--I'm glad you get to have another sweet one to add to your bunch.

Meghan said...

What wonderful and amazing news! Obviously the Lord has a better plan for us than we ever can. I love your family, and know that this baby will be so blessed and showered with so much love. Your kids amaze me, and I hope I can raise my kids to be like yours! I'm so sad that you had so many people make you feel like you couldn't and shouldn't have another baby. These two beautiful miracles you have experienced have helped me realize that He can work miracles in anyone's life and has given me a boost of faith that I needed right now. Thank you for sharing your story! And please don't ever give a second thought about anything negative anyone says. Love you!!

jdust said...

Congrats on both accounts! We are so happy for you and nate and evie. What a sweet family you have.

Jason, Kodi, Jake and Tyler said...

Wow! Once again, I have been reminded of the tender mercies of The Lord. And at a good time too. I am so happy for you and I ditto what so many other said-- just ignore those nosey people. Heavenly Father obviously knows what he is doing. I can't wait to see another cute Tracey baby on this blog...and hopefully some day in person! Miss you! And I'm so glad I embarrassed myself the other day by trying to figure out my new phone! Love ya!

Ingrid said...

Dear Andrea, You are a great example to me. Congratulations on the new pregnancy and on this huge miracle that happened with your little girl.

I love you guys and miss you all.

Ingrid Henricksen.

Cheri said...

That is an amazing miracle. I am so glad that you posted this and allowed us to share in something so wonderful and sacred that has taken place within your family. I am so happy for you and your family and especially for little Evie that she no longer has any upcoming surgeries. Thanks again for this touching message.

Greta Henricksen said...

Thank you for sharing. My experience has been similar to yours. So I completely empathize with you. I am truly happy for your new baby to come, and I know the Lord blesses us when we have faith and trust in him. I am also incredibly happy that your sweet baby won't have to suffer anymore surgeries. Congratulations!

Tiffanyann said...

I am so excited for you!! I want to yell and cry all at the same time!! What tender mercies and moments you have had. I wish once again I was there to do for you what you did for me, you are one amazing woman, its no wonder why the Lord has another little blessing instore for your family! I can't even begin to express how thankful and happy I am that little Evie is healing so remarkably! Miracles do happen and you have been so blessed! Miss and love you tons! kiss those kids for me and tell them how much we miss them!

Ryan and Marci said...

This is amazing!!!! Sooo excited for you! Thanks for sharing your experience, it is such a testimony builder!!!

Beard Family said...

I am in tears!! I am so happy for you!! I love stories about Faith. I know our Heavenly Father answers our prayers!! Congrats, both for not heart surgery and the new baby!! I hope the best for you and your family!

LeAnn said...

A beautiful testimony of faith and miracles! I'm so happy for you, your family, and especially little Evie - such a blessing! Congratulations and thank you for sharing this sacred miracle.