Monday, April 2, 2012

Conference and gaining weight

As a kid, I never quite understood why twice a year we had to sit and watch old people on T.V. talk about church stuff. I was told General Conference was important because it was when our Prophet and the Apostles spoke to us directly and gave us council. As I grew I knew that it was important, but still didn't get it. It wasn't until I was 16 and was challenged by my seminary teacher to actually watch ALL of conference, take notes, and most importantly, to pray and ask our Heavenly Father something and then to listen for that question to be answered in conference, that I really started to "get" conference. I remember as a 16 year old thinking I would do what the teacher asked, but not really sure that it would work for me. Then conference came and I was amazed that my question was indeed answered and not just once either. Ever since that experience I have LOVED conference. I have looked forward to it with joy and excitement. This year was no different, and in fact I was COUNTING on that promise by my teacher to be true yet again. Things have been tough for us, as is true for just about everyone, but I really needed some encouragement. I really needed a message just for me. Boy did I get one, several in fact. I am amazed again at how personally and intimately our Father in Heaven knows us and how he is kind enough to send messages just to us, just when we need them. This conference really spoke to me, and not just because of Evelyn and all her struggles. It spoke to me as a mother of all my children, to me as a sister, a daughter, a friend. It was what I needed to hear even though I may not have known it was what I needed to hear before hand. I can't wait to listen to and re-read all those messages.
Our kids are probably at the stage I was in as a kid, not quite understanding why we have to spend 4 hours Saturday and 4 hours Sunday watching what they may consider boring, but they were good sports non the less. Thankfully a good friend brought over some conference packets for my kids to work on during to help them listen better. I hadn't had a chance to even think about making them, so I was overjoyed that she thought of us!! This is the kids Sunday morning "listening" :).
 Poor Nate was post-call, he has just worked a 29 hour shift and was pretty sleepy. He had been able to sleep for a few hours and amazingly stayed awake for all of the talks!
 I really love conference and am so thankful that we can watch it from the comfort of our own home. It was amazing!!
Miss Evelyn is having a hard time still. Her heart failure is worsening. The fluid around her heart has double since we left the hospital and she can now no longer take food in on her own at all. The doctors say we would do surgery immediately if it weren't for one thing, she IS gaining!! A lot of people have asked me why, with all her struggles, have they not just done the surgery. The answer is that EVERY once she puts on makes her that much stronger, that much more likely to recover well after the surgery. When they do the surgery they have to stop her heart and put her on a heart-lung machine. They have to cut open her chest, crack her ribs and work on her heart. There can be many complications, and I want her body to be strong enough to eliminate a lot of those risks. THAT is why they wait. Because she is gaining.
Here she is getting a feeding through her tube.
 Look at her cheeks, they are getting fuller again!!! She is almost 9 lbs, hurray Evie!!
I love this little girl more then I could even express. She is such a trooper. I can't wait until this is all behind us and she is able to experience life without so much struggling. We meet with the heart team Thursday to decide what day to do the surgery. It is a lot scary, but it has to be done. Without this I would loose my baby. Wish us luck!!

8 comments:

Jason, Kodi, Jake and Tyler said...

Oh my arms are aching to hold that little girl! You are such a good momma. Your kids will learn so much from watching you and Nate be strong through this. We love you guys and think about you all the time!

Meghan said...

I had a dream a few nights ago that I got to see you. I gave you the biggest hug ever and told you that I couldn't ever imagine what you are going through, but that all of the pain and stress is worth it just to have Evelyn in your family. I wish I could be there in person to do that same thing. We will continue to pray for you and your family. You are such a wonderful example of faith and courage to us. Love you!!

Wholly Duncan said...

More than luck, I wish you all the blessings you can possibly take in. She will be fine, and I thought of you during conference too!

mama_pj said...

During conference yesterday I thought of you, Nathan, and Evie. I have felt the quiet assurance that all will go well and soon our little Evie will be healed. Know that we love you and pray for you every day. I have no doubt that the day to day dealing with challenges is more difficult that I know. I send love, hugs, and kisses.

adventure knitter said...

What a sweet little girl! I'm thinking about you! It's amazing living so far away from the center of the gospel...I didn't even know that conference was this past weekend...I thought it was next weekend! We don't get to watch it at church until we receive the dvds in a couple of weeks...but I think this week I'll have to pull up the sessions and watch them bit by bit.

DeNae I said...

I thought of you so much this weekend. How interesting that so many talks were so applicable to your life right now. We love you guys and know that you'll survive this too.

Lisa/Scott said...

She is so beautiful Andrea!
You know, it's funny, you and your little girl popped in my head a couple of times during conference and I was wondering when I'd get an update and wishing we were close to each other so I could visit. I will keep praying for her. Good luck tomorrow with your meeting!

Travis & Adrienne said...

We're praying for you! Please keep us posted as you're able. You're little family is so precious and that darling little baby of yours is so beautiful. I am so relieved to hear you are a peace. Heavenly Father will continue to wrap his arms around you and your family. I just know it. He loves each of you so, so much.