Thursday, December 4, 2008

Decorating the Tree

The day after Thanksgiving is widely know as a shopping fanatics day; however in my household it has a much different meaning. Every year since I can remember we would get up early, dress in our snow pants, gloves, jackets, boots, etc. and drive up into the mountains to cut down our Christmas tree. (Now I know when I was a younger child and we lived outside of Utah we would just go to a tree lot and pick one out, but I'm choosing to over look that...) It has been one of my all time favorite family traditions. I love the snow, tracking through it for what feels like AGES until mom finds the perfect tree, then standing around freezing my toes of as dad cuts it down and then ties it to the car. No really I love this!! I even did it when I was 7 months pregnant with Gabby. But now that we live far, far away in the "mountain state" (seriously that is what it's nick name is...) we miss out on the joy of hiking in the snow to cut down the tree. However we have kept the tradition somewhat alive by getting our tree and decorating it the day after Thanksgiving. I am ashamed to say that this year we did the unthinkable and bought a...... yes a FAKE tree!!! I know, I am embarrassed to even admit that to you, but we aren't going to be here for most of December so it just made practical sense. (I did buy a "spruce" smelling candle but it isn't the same!!!) Luke LOVED getting to put the tree together with his dad.Luke was very into the tree decorating thing this year, very nice for mom!! He INSISTED that we have a star this year and not an angel that we have every other year. After all .."it was the star that announced Jesus' birth mom!!" When did he get so smart?!

Gabby was more interested in dancing to the Christmas music that we had playing and then stealing the "princess" ornaments to play with then decorating, but she did help a little :).

Of course he is still into trains, thanks Julie for the ornament!!

6 comments:

Christy said...

How fun..We just started the tradition of cutting down our tree since there aren't tree lots in town to buy them we don't have any other choice. The last 2 years have definitely been the most memorable. Don't feel too bad about buying a fake - it looks very convenient.

Ryan and Marci said...

What a cute tree and fun tradition!!

kim and morgan said...

How cute! Love that fun tradition.... and LOVE your photography!

Mole said...

Ahhh it looks like so much fun. Don't worry I think I am going to buy a fake tree this year too. Carrying a tree up two flights of stairs isn't my idea of fun. haha

Kirsten said...

We have a fake tree too and I miss the smell of a real tree!! Your pictures were so cute. I love the one of Gabby...Brynlee did the same thing with the princess ornament this year until she broke the arm off by accident (which we can't find) and I put an end to ornament playing real quick!! ;-)

I remember your tradition of the tree cutting...I think that is so cool!

Alicia said...

yur story reminded me of primary. Well no one in the bishopric wanted to talk, so they talked Chris into it. Well lets say Chris doesn't have a lot of experience with teaching kids. He talked about why we have stars on top of the tree (we have an angel by the way), well little pierce was terrified because he didn't have an star on his tree, we had to intervene and say it was okay if you didn't.
Then Cameron raised his hand and said, "I know why we give presents" chris's wonderful response was ..."Good for you." Oh, it was hilarious, but the kids now know why there are angels on top of the tree, but do not know why you give presents at Christmas.