4 years ago
Monday, September 19, 2011
Inquiring minds want to know
There have been a few interesting conversations in our house lately, and I had to record them so I didn't forget. With the new baby coming in a few months, we knew there would be a lot of questions and interest in things now that the kids are older. We have successfully gotten around any explanations up until this point, but I knew that wouldn't be the case this time around. (Luke will be nine in a few weeks after all.) With that in mind, Nate headed a FHE all about our bodies. He, being a doctor and all, approached it very scientifically. He got out the anatomy book, showed the kids illustrations of the body, naming parts and showing the kids both boys and girls. He showed a uterus and told them that was were the baby was growing and that when the time came it would come out the birth canal. Good enough. No one asked where the birth canal ended and I was FINE with that. We asked if they had questions and they claimed no. WHEW!!! Or so I thought. About 4 days later while we were sitting at DINNER of all places, Lily looks at me and says, "SO mom, does the baby come out of your pee pee??" Uhhhhhhh...... Stunned silence. NOT the nine year old, not the six year old, THE THREE YEAR OLD PUT IT ALL TOGETHER!! Gabby quickly says, "NO Lily, you silly, the baby comes out... of the... birth... can...al.... ummmm. Where does the birth canal end....??" Nate to the rescue, he simple said yes, that's right. Mom has a place for her poop, her pee and one for the baby. End of discussion. Again. Or so I thought, again. Another week or two goes by and we are in the kitchen doing dishes and Lily looks at me and says, "Mom, you have THREE holes?? How about the two here where the baby eats? Does that make FIVE??!!" I had to laugh, I went nine years avoiding these kinds of questions, and now, NOW, it is the little one that is so inquisitive about it all!! I know I should just explain it all to them and not be weirded out by it, but I was just really unprepared to have this conversation with a three almost four year old. So I told her yes, she was right, to which she says, "Ya, I knew that. Leah told me it." :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
That is hilarious! Of course Leah would be the one to tell her! Thanks for the early morning laugh! Good luck and keep us updated, we are so happy for you!!
Lily is a thinker!!! You are going to have many more questions from her so time to be prepared!!!! Love that girl!!!
Oh...my...gosh....TOO CUTE! Can't wait to squeeze that little cutie!
That is great. So cute. What a great way to handle the situation. Iam sure it went so well.
It is interesting to have a baby when the kids are a bit older. My children were ALL fascinated by the entire process and asked many questions. I decided up front not to get embarrassed but just come out and be scientific like Nate. It has worked well so far. Like your little one, my little one was very amazed at the prospect of all those holes. Jaden sat and watched me try to nurse the baby and asked me how the whole thing worked. When I told him in detail he just looked up at me and said, "Wow those are really cool!"
Post a Comment