Friday, December 4, 2009

Thanksgiving!!!

This year was a GREAT Thanksgiving!!
First off, these pictures are not the greatest because for some reason no one wanted me to take pictures of them. So every picture that I took was a quick snapshot and therefore really not great quality. However it is about the fun that we had so I will have to allow myself to not feel bad that I am not as good as a holiday picture taker as my Grandma de Hoyos. (She ALWAYS manages to get great photos, and photos of EVERYONE. Which is impressive as she has 12 children plus all their kids and their kids' kids.)
Thanksgiving, to me, means family. For the longest time we would go over to my grandparents house and have Thanksgiving dinner. It was some of my fondest childhood memories; all the cousins, aunts and uncles, laughing, eating and having fun. My grandparents, however, went on a few missions and had to stop the tradition. As a result Thanksgiving moved to my parents house. As we, the older kids, got married and had kids of our own, this also became a cherished tradition. Then we moved. No more family, no more family get togethers and no more family Thanksgiving Dinner... We have made due, eating with friends and ward members. We have had fun. But this year, this year was different. This year it felt almost like home, it felt almost like we were a family. It was so fun and soooo needed. I can't even describe to you how wonderful it was, I really felt like I was at one of the Thanksgivings I have grown up loving.
DeNae and Stan graciously invited us to come spend the weekend at their house. Sure we only live 30 minutes down the road, but that is a lot of gas when we are getting together everyday during the break! They also had the Smith's down from Indiana, who we had met before but now absolutely love!! And the day after Thanksgiving they had a friend and her kids come from DC. Needless to say, they had PACKED house, but it was so much fun!!! Poor Stan had to work everyday of the break, including turkey day, but he got off early enough to still enjoy some festivities. Nate went in the morning with Gordon McLemore to play football with some other guys from his ward, while the women folk stayed at home and prepared. He had fun, even though he broke his finger!!
I love all the preparing and baking, sure it is chaotic and a little stressful, but it is so worth it! We made 2 turkeys (thanks to Lily I was up at 4 am to put one in the oven) 12 layer jello, 24 hour salad, raspberry ribbon salad, sweet potato casserole, etc, etc, you get the idea. We wanted to make sure everyone had their traditional dishes. A new addition to the traditions was Chisa's homemade pot stickers. (She is Japanese and a fantastic cook!!) We are so glad the McLemore's joined us!! Again, the ladies didn't want photos taken but I tend to ignore so here are a few of prep time.
Ana, DeNae and Tia

Luke and Caden playing while waiting

Kaliah, Gabby and Matty

After football, the men decided that it was a good time to put up chair rail and the stuff around the base (yes that is the technical term...). Men

Leah and KaliahI love you DeNae!!!Thank you Chisa for posing and for the tremendous work of making all those pot stickers!!Some of the spread, it was soooo good! PIES!! Tia made them all, chocolate, lemon meringue, apple, berry and pumpkin!!Getting the kids situated to start eatingYes this is my best adult picture and it isn't even a complete one! We had Ana and Silas, Chisa and Gordon, Stan and DeNae and Nate and me. (Plus all the kids :)!!)Stan wanted to pose for a picture. What a loving husband! Tia pretending to give baby Koyo a bite of pie. (Chisa doesn't know;)!) P.S. Is he not one of the cutest babies ever?! After all the fun everyone was tuckered out! The kids actually did REALLY well sleeping all together in the play room!! (Is there someone here that doesn't belong??!)

It was really a great Thanksgiving. I am so grateful to have been able to have these great people as my family this year! I am really blessed.

3 comments:

Angela said...

Oh how fun! These pictures capture the feel so well... I'm so glad you had good friends to share it with!

DeNae I said...

Yay! We had such a good time. I love our little "family" away from family. It makes this whole medical stuff so much easier. Oh yeah, thanks for posting such awesome photo's of me!

mama_pj said...

Wonderful! We missed you, but are so happy that you have such great friends to share with!