Feliz Cinco de Mayo! Ok I know Cinco de Mayo isn't actually widely celebrated in Mexico, but hey it's a great excuse to get together and eat good food and have a pinata!! A few years ago Tiff and I decided that being in West Virginia and not having access to good Mexican food made it essential for us to make our own. So our Cinco de Mayo celebration was born. We have enjoyed celebrating it over the year and I was sad to not have her around this year to party with. (She is living in Arizona and flaunted the fact that she was going to an actual Mexican market to get her ingredients for her party!! Some day Tiff!! ;)!! ) So we rounded up the crew here and had a fabulous time!! We had enchiladas and rice(thanks DeNae and Ellie), taco de carne asada with homemade tortillas, pico de gallo and re fried beans (thanks Chisa), all the fixings and chip (thanks Bonnie and Steph) and empanadas and virgin margaritas(thanks Tia)!! It was amazing food, even if the kids didn't touch it!


Here is Tia slaving over the empanadas in DeNae's SUPER hot kitchen! (It was almost 90 degrees in there!!)

Here are my amazing friends out here; Tia (Tanya but everyone calls her Tia), DeNae (holding Koyo, Chisa baby), Bonnie, Me, Chisa and Stephanie. I love you girls!!!

This week for FHE we talked about our heritage and decided to make a pinata for our party (since I am part Mexican). DeNae and Ellie finished it and I thought it looked pretty awesome!! (BTW Ellie is an 11 year old girl in DeNae's ward who we adore and helps out a ton!!) The kids couldn't wait to have a swing at it. Stan and Nathan B. held it up while Joel helped the kids bat.

Koyo thought it was super funny and was all smiles when his daddy helped him whack at it!

Lily didn't need any help. She grabbed that bat and went straight for it! GO Lily!!

This is Lydia, she is adorable!
11 comments:
Quick on the draw, my friend! We had so much fun yesterday. I actually can't wait for the leftovers.
wow sounds like it was a blast!!! wish i could have partaken in that delicious food! last year for cinco de mayo we were in hawaii on our honeymoon so we just went to taco bell in celebration of cinco de mayo :) hahah but sadly this year we just bought a car.... and that took up all day! also im sorry i had to get off the phone with you so quickly, travis mom jumped in the mustang as i was taking it back to mom and dad... :S so i felt like i should talk with her. Anyways love you glad you had such fun!!
Sounds like you guys all had a great time. The food looks great! Cant wait til we can make that when you are here for the summer!!!The kids look like that had fun as well.Won't be much longer. One month from today and I will be there !!!!!
Very fast posting--thanks for putting up the pictures. What a fun night. Thanks for everything, we had a blast! (Oh, and I'm adding you to our blog list--and I invited you to our blog.) See you soon! :)
Dinner was great! Thanks for the yummy food, I could have eaten all night long :o)
I'm so glad that we can do things like this with you guys- fun nights!
Glad you had so much fun! It was great seeing you last weekend! I hope we can get together again before the summer!
YUM!!! We had a cinco de mayo fiesta of our own but your food looks so much more authentic & yummy! Looks like you have a great group of friends there that you can do fun things with.
Looks like so much fun!
Wow! Looks like a blast! Pinata and all. That food looked tempting too.... Mmmm..... So fun to see you at stake conference. We are going to miss running into you here and there. :)
Oh I miss you guys!! We really do need to get together! What a fun tradition with great friends! I want those recipes!!!! Your next post needs to be all the recipes you used! ;-D It all looked so good! For some reason, when Cinco de Mayo comes around, I always forget about since Ethan's birthday is the day before and Karli's is the day after. Next year, don't let me forget!! We love Mexican food!
Post a Comment