Saturday, February 25, 2012

The First Week

My Sweet little Evelyn is now a week old. When I held her in my arms a week ago I had no idea what the next few days would entail. I thought all my worries were behind me, thought it was finally all over and I could now finally enjoy my perfect little baby. Then I hear words like VSD, open heart surgery and congestive heart failure. I couldn't make sense of what was going on and felt like I was trapped in a bad dream. But I am finally starting to come to grips with the reality of things and it is starting to sink in that this is for real. My precious baby girl was born with a hole in her heart. Actually 2 holes, but they are fairly certain that the one in the upper chamber will close in time. However she has a rather sizable hole in between the lower chambers and because of it's location it will not heal on its own. Left unchecked she would go into heart failure among other things. She is not big enough or strong enough right now, so they have to wait a few months before they can do the surgery. Now, I know everything will be ok. Everyone keeps saying how once the surgery is done she shouldn't have any problems and that this happens all the time. I understand that, but it also isn't as if my baby is just going in to have an ingrown toenail fixed. This is OPEN HEART SURGERY and she is MY baby! Until she has her surgery I have to watch her like a hawk for signs that she is going into congestive heart failure and make weekly trips to the cardiologists. She will likely have to stop breastfeeding because the strain it puts on her heart could become too much. She risks loosing weight and being unable to gain on her own. We can"t let her cry or get worked up because of the strain it would put on her heart, she could start having breathing problems, etc. There is so much that we have to worry and watch for from now until she has this major surgery. And then they are going to cut my tiny little baby open and work on her tiny little heart. It has been a rough few days. I have been coming to some realizations through all of this though. For one, it seemed so crazy to me how we came to match here. So obvious that the Lord sent us here, but why? Well Cleveland Clinic just happens to be the #1 hospital in the nation for cardiac care and heart surgery. I can take comfort in knowing that my baby is in the best hands this nation has to offer for this surgery. I am grateful beyond words for that. Also I wondered why we had to wait so long to have this baby, why we had so many problems getting her here. I wouldn't have been here near this hospital before, also now I have 3 very independent and helpful children that I won't have to worry about as much while trying to care for Evie and for the 5 or so days that she will be in the hospital after the surgery. Then there is why I had to come late, I was so uncomfortable and ready to have her, but had she not stayed in to cook longer she may not have been strong enough to make it through labor as well as she did. It is amazing to me to see just how thoroughly the Lords hand is in every aspect of my life. I am terrified about the next several months and I get overwhelmed by my emotions at times, but I do know that Lord is watching over us. I trust in Him. I hate the thought of seeing this beautiful little girl having to suffer, but I know that with the Lords help we can make it through this.

9 comments:

Shawny said...

Oh Andrea, I'm so sorry that your baby girl has been born with this but how wonderful that it can be fixed and she is and will be in such good hands. Thank goodness she didn't want to come out sooner!

25 years ago my youngest brother died of a heart defect at three days old. There was nothing they could do. I'm just in awe of all the advancements in technology that make these little glitches fixable. Thanks goodness we live in this time! Evie will be 100% in no time.

Jo Jo said...

I had no idea! You have a perfect perspective! I love the gospel. I love friends that are a strength to me in the midst of their trials. I love you!

Shannan said...

I'm glad for your update about sweet Evie. I've been thinking about you both since I saw on FB what your mom wrote about surgery. I am so glad that you are where you are at and that everything has fallen into place for what is to come. It never makes sense when we are going through something, or why things don't work out the way we want, but when we look back we can always see the Lord's hand in all things. I hope all goes well for you for the next few months. She is such a sweet little baby and I know a blessing in your lives. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Ryan and Marci said...

Wow Andrea, the Lord has definitely been watching over and has a plan for your family! I am so sorry to hear about Evie and can't imagine what you are going through. She is lucky to have such a strong & positive Mama! Thinking & praying for you guys...

Beard Family said...

Oh I hate to hear things like this but know she is in great hands!!! I hope that you will be comforted and glad things worked out for that sweet baby. Oh the Lord always knows what is best for us even when it is hard for us to understand. I hope the next couple of months go fast so you can be free of worry and really enjoy that baby!!!

Our Family said...

I am so so sorry Andrea. What a horrible thing to go through. I'm so glad that you guys are in the right spot for your little baby to be taken care of though, what an incredible blessing and miracle. You and your family will be in our prayers.

Wholly Duncan said...

We love you guys and you'll be in our thoughts and prayers. I wish we lived close so we could help. You have a great perspective on it all. Take care if yourself, it will all work out.

Malinda said...

Andrea,
My heart aches for you and your family. I wish I were closer to help, but you are in our prayers. Love you.

Lisa/Scott said...

OH my gosh it is SOOOO understandable why it's been so hard on you even though the Dr. Says it will all be fine.
One of my friends/coworker was due a month after me but had her little boy at 27 weeks, it was insane. He had the same thing, the hole in your heart and had to be on a ventilator. It was a miracle he even survived but he was growing way fast and was big for his age, so even though he only weighed about 2 pounds it was big enough for him to live.
Though your story and hers, it totally amazes me how Heavenly Father has a way of making things work out and putting people in the right places and times in order to help them along.
Your sweet little girl just got added to my personal prayer list. :)