Monday, September 20, 2010

Potty Training...

One would assume that after having successfully potty training two other children that the third would be a piece of cake. However that one assuming would have to know that the third child was incredibly willful, stubborn, defiant and has to do everything on her own terms. That is where I find myself with Lily. She has been interested in the potty for a year, A YEAR!!! And she is still NOT potty trained. She will sit on the potty, and she will even go potty occasionally when I ask her to. But put her in big girl panties and have her tell me when she needs to go and I have a big wet mess on the floor!! I ask her if she wants to be a big girl and she says, "No, I want to be a baby. Hold me, rock me and feed me!!" None of the other motivations that worked on the others work on her. But look at that face!!! It is so hard to get frustrated at her when she is so cute, and so proud when she goes. She just doesn't want to be a big girl yet. But she is going to be three in a month!!! I have no idea what to do and I am SO done with diapers!!
I should clarify a little, she will go potty whenever her DAD asks her to go. However when I ask her, she gets on the potty, cries and says there is no pee. What does a mother do?! Especially when dad is gone a lot and will be gone for the whole next month?! I am at my wits end with this girl, anyone willing to help with potty training her I am willing to make cookies, cakes, you name it, in return!!! (She is cute though, isn't she?!)

7 comments:

DeNae I said...

She is so cute, I love that face...maybe we can make it a joint effort. One Saturday spend the whole day on tile with the girls. I feel like I'll never get out of the diaper phase.

The P*dunc's said...

Good luck (w/ potty training and with Nate being gone). Both my kids are super stubborn. After trying/fighting with Dallin for a year, I finally just gave up. A couple months later, my mom and Helen came to visit one right after the other and took him to the potty the whole time. After they left, Dallin decided to go by himself all the time from then on. Ellie potty trained herself, but when I got really sick a month later, she reverted right back to diapers. I am still putting off "finalizing" her training. Oh, the joys! I feel for you!

Tiffanyann said...

she is so cute. i have no advice for the potty training thing. hello logan is three and a half!!! for crying out loud, there is nothing that even motivates him. i swear he will be the only 7th grader still wearing diapers.

adrienne said...

We just started potty training Emily about a week and a half ago. It has been so different from Max. He was such a stubborn little stink I finally just left him to himself and stopped reminding him about the potty. That worked great for him. He just doesn't like doing anything that's not on his own terms. Good luck.

Malinda said...

You are right...Lilly is cute! I have some ideas for you that may or may not work that you may or may not have tried...I will email you.

Greta Henricksen said...

If there is anything I have learned from parenting it is that ALL children are VERY different. My two girls potty trained quite early, Jaden even did pretty young. Linsey we have started but she doesn't seem all that interested either. So I have decided not to push her and just keep trying to get her to go while I stick with the diapers.

Angela said...

ha ha hilarious... she likes to give you a hard time! K, so most of mine were 3 1/2 by the time they potty trained... it was awesome. Give her some time, don't stress about it and eventually she'll want to on her own.