As is tradition in a lot of families, every Christmas Eve the kids get to open one present that is always pj's. This year was no different in that the kids were going to get pj's; what was different was that Nate was on call. That means that he had to be at the hospital by 6 am Saturday morning and wouldn't be home til sometime on Sunday morning. It was hard for me, I mean I knew it was part of the deal. Most first year residents get the crappy schedule, and residents just have to work a lot. I knew that. But it is one thing to "know it" and another thing to experience it. We made due and had lots of awesome friends that wanted to make sure we were taken care of. However it just wasn't complete without Nate. But we did get to participate in some of our yearly traditions, even if Dad couldn't be there for it. The kids opened their presents and got dressed all in their cute new jammies!
After that we were lucky enough to get to join with some friends for dinner and the nativity re-enactment. (One of my favorites every year!)
Then home to bed! The kids all slept together in one room, as they do every year, and luckily fell asleep pretty fast. Then it was up to me to get everything ready. It wasn't easy as I have been struggling with the last part of this pregnancy and being told that if I didn't take it easy I would be put on bed rest, but I was able to get done most of what I wanted/needed to do.
Our cute little tree all ready for the morning. Not knowing when Nate would be home, we told the kids they would just have to wait. It took the pressure off so that they could sleep and not be so excited that they would wake up at the crack of dawn. That was a present in and of itself to me! They did really good and didn't wake up until 7! But that is for the next post!! :) It was sad to experience this all without Nate, but we did what we had to and it was still lovely. (We did try to go see daddy at work, but he was SWAMPED all night... which unfortunately meant no sleep so he would have to sleep a lot of Christmas day...)
No comments:
Post a Comment