Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Happy Birthday Luke!!! (Yesterday)


Wow, can it really be that six years ago I was embarking on this new adventure called motherhood? Can it really be that six years ago my life changed in ways that I never imagined it could? Can it really be that six years ago the most amazing and special person entered my life and made it more then I ever thought possible? Yes, that is exactally what happened; six years ago my little Luke was born and I have never been the same since! Luke is one of the most amazing and special little spirits you will ever come in contact with. (I say that because I am his mom, but also because I believe that to be true with all my heart.) So in honor of my little Luke's sixth birthday I will share a few stories to show you all what a wonderful little boy I have. (Some of you will have already heard some of these stories, so sorry.)

Not too long ago I was in my room paying bills. We have never had "real" money as Nate is still a student, but we have always had enough to pay our bills. I was particularly stress and started to cry. Luke came in and asked what was wrong with mommy. I told him I was just worried because we didn't have enough money. He turned and walked out of the room. I figured that he just went to go play, but moments later he was at my side with his piggy bank. He handed it to me and said " Here mom, you can have my money. There now you have enough." and he gave me a big hug and told me he loved me! That just made me cry more!! He is always so sweet like that.

One day I was in the kids room playing with them and Luke starts gathering randon toys. He made a big pile in the middle of the floor. I asked him what he was doing and he told me that he was getting together toys that he wanted to give to kids that didn't have toys. He has put several of his favorite toys in the pile so I asked him if he meant to or if he wanted to take them out. He very thoughtfully said "Mom, there are kids that don't even have any toys. I want them to have cool toys, not just ones that I don't want." Who taught him that?! And he meant it. So we took the toys and donated them to a shelter and to the Salvation Army. And he has never asked for those toys again or shown regret over giving them away.

One more:

I had gotten mad at Luke for doing something that he wasn't suppose to do. But it had been a rough day and so I got pretty mad and sent him to his room. I left him there for a while until I calmed down. When I went in to talk to him and appologize for getting so mad, he came down from his bed gave me a hug and appologized for doing what he knew he wasn't suppose to before I could say anything. Truthfully he wasn't the one needing to appologize, but he does everytime he gets in trouble. I am sure that won't last forever but it always amazes me when he does and reminds me that I had better treat him better!!

I could go on and on as I am sure all mothers can, but I just wanted to say what I am proud to be the mother of such a wonderful little boy and I hope that I can be as good as he is when I grow up!! I love you Luke!!!

10 comments:

Mole said...

Those are the cutest stories. Thanks for sharing. Happy Birthday Luke!

Jana and Mario said...

Happy Birthday Luke! We love you and wish we could give you a hug! I remember when Luke was born also.... wow how time flies. Love you!

GreenPhoenix said...

What a great kid!

adrienne said...

I was tearing up reading those stories! What a great kid he is. Happy Birthday Luke!!

mama_pj said...

I remember the day Luke was born too. I watched through the window while he had his first bath in the hospital nursery and my heart was completely flooded with love for this small boy. Being a grandma has been so much better than I could have ever imagined. Thanks Luke for being so great. Happy 6th Birthday. Lots of birthday hugs and kisses.

Shannan said...

Thanks for sharing those stories about your sweet Luke. I was getting teary eyed as well. Kids always teach us more than we teach them, don't they?

Ryan and Marci said...

What a sweetheart he is! Happy Birthday Luke! I bet as a mother it is so neat to reflect back on memories and how much your children have grown up. Time sure does seem to fly! You're such a great Mom!

Jason, Kodi, Jake and Tyler said...

I'm crying. what a sweet little boy. i remember when Luke was born. i was his favorite. Happy birthday buddy!

theharmans said...

Happy belated birthday! We miss you guys and think of you often.

keith said...

What a good kid. Those stories remind me of his dad. Nate was just a good of a kid. Luke comes by it rightfully. I am sure you were a good kid too Andrea but I wasn't there :)